CVATD Welcomes Eleven New Faculty
The College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance is proud to welcome eleven new faculty this fall. With a diverse array of research interests and backgrounds, they promise to enrich student experiences throughout the College.
Six new faculty will be joining the School of Art & Design: Kevin Curry and Rob Duarte in the Department of Art, Paul Niell in the Department of Art History, Kenan Fishburne and Steve Webber in the Department of Interior Design, and Antonio C. Cuyler in the Department of Art Education. Five faculty join the School of Theatre: Jim Lile, George McConnell, Michael Hayden, Daniel Sack, and Nia Witherspoon.
- Kevin Curry has an MFA in Sculpture from Southern Illinois University. Over the past four years, Kevin has been an Artist-in-Residence at Lawndale Art Center in Houston, TX, Art342 in Fort Collins, Colorado, Platteforum in Denver, Colorado, and RedLine in Denver, Colorado.
- Rob Duarte, received his MFA in Visual Arts from the University of California San Diego where he was a Ujima Scholar and a San Diego Fellow. Through subversive interventions, dark humor and imposed sensory overload, Rob Duarte attempts to bring to the surface the hidden relationships between technology and culture.
- Dr. Paul Neil received his Ph.D. from the Arts of the Americas program at the University of New Mexico in 2008. He specializes in Spanish Colonial arts and architecture, c. 1500-1840, with a secondary emphasis on the material culture of the African Diaspora.
- Dr. Antonio C. Cuyler joins the Department of Art Education. His passion for diversity and culturally-specific arts organizations inspired his work with the Harlem School of the Arts, the Houston Ebony Opera Guild, the Negro Spiritual Scholarship Foundation, the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, the Riley House Museum, and the Ritz Chamber Players. Cuyler received his Ph.D. in Art Education & Arts Administration from Florida State University
- Kenan Fishburn has a Master of Science in Interior Design from Florida State University and is owner and President of Main Street Design, Inc., a four-member, full-service, licensed interior design firm that has specialized in both commercial and residential projects for 20 years.
- Jim Lile has a wide variety of experience in his 25 years of working live theatre. He served as the Technical Director for Iowa State University (ISU) theatre. While at ISU, he served as Crew Head of the technical crew at the Iowa State Center. He worked on hundreds of rock concerts, Broadway tours, conferences and sporting events. He spent nine years as stage manager for the Iowa State Center’s Nutcracker Ballet.
- Dr. George McConnell recently received his PhD from the University of Minnesota and completed his dissertation,Struck Stupid: 21st CenturyTheatrical Performance and the Limits of a Discourse. He holds a B.A. in Theatre Performance from Western Michigan University and proudly received his M.A. in Theatre Studies from FSU. His research interests include: contemporary performance art and devised performance, the intersection of performance practice and theory, critical performance pedagogy, performance ethnography and creative research methods.
- Michael Hayden graduated from St. John's University in Minnesota with a BA in Theatre. A graduate of the Juilliard School of Acting, Michael has taught classical and contemporary acting in conjunction with The Acting Company in New York City as well as offering private audition and acting sessions. He has offered Shakespeare seminars at universities throughout the United States.
- Dr. Daniel Sack holds a PhD in Drama from Stanford University where his research was funded by a Mellon Foundation grant and received the Charles Lyons award for distinguished dissertation. He also has a BA in Creative Writing from Brandeis University. Prior to his appointment at Florida State University’s School of Theatre, he was Five College Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Performance Studies at the English Departments of Amherst College and the University of Massachusetts.
- Nia Witherspoon holds a B.A. in American Studies from Smith College and a PhD from Stanford University’s Department of Drama, where she was honored with the Mellon Dissertation Fellowship.